Good morning! It’s Wednesday! We have successfully made it to the hump! Have a wonderful day!
TFTD: Emotional Eating-It’s a Sin!
Today I want to take a moment to touch on emotional eating. My definition of emotional eating is as follows:
- Emotional eating is an unsuccessful, unsatisfying, self-sabotaging mechanism used to deal with emotional stress.
- Emotional eating is a sin!
- Emotional eating is a mini god!
I know you are reading this saying, “What in the world is this woman talking about!” We’ll indulge me for a moment. I’ve struggled with emotional eating since I was a teenager, but didn’t realize it or recognize it until a few years ago. During a season of fasting and prayer, God revealed to me three bullet points mentioned above.
- Emotional eating is unsuccessful and unsatisfying– How many times have you allowed an emotion, like anger, frustration, sadness, anxiety, or even happiness to lead you to run to food? You run to food in an attempt to manage or comfort the emotion that has presented itself. We’ll I’ve been there, done that, wore the t-shirt and carried the handbag. Food does not fill the void that is present when emotional stress presents itself. It’s so unsatisfying because after you consume all of those cookies, sodas, fried foods, etc. you are left miserable and feeling worst than before. And if you are on a journey to healthy living, like myself, then emotional eating is a self-sabotaging mechanism. Every time you are doing well and stress rears its ugly head, you run to food and you are reversing your progress. You are allowing an emotion to run your life and ruin your health.
- Emotional eating is a sin! The bible tells us not to make provisions for our flesh by gratifying its desires. When you run to food in an effort to satisfy the emotional pain you are experiencing you are making provisions for your flesh. STOP IT!!! This is extremely damaging to your spiritual relationship with Christ. Not to mention your health.
Romans 13:14 (ESV)But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.
- Emotional eating is a mini god! This was a tough pill for me to swallow, but during my spiritual journey, God removed the scales from my eyes and showed me that I had another god before Him! OMG!!! It couldn’t be. But in reality when I ran to food to deal with my emotions, I was saying, “Food you are my god, help solve my problems.” Don’t allow your stomach to become your god. Don’t look to food to be your “savior”. It’s time to say, “NO” to emotional eating!
Exodus 20:3 (NIV)“You shall have no other gods before[a] me.
Philippians 3:19 (NIV)Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things.
Emotional eating will no longer rule my life. I turned it over to God in January 2011 and with His help I am not looking back. I want to encourage you to seek God FIRST when addressing emotional eating. Confess your sin and let Him lead you out of “food bondage”.
1 Peter 5:7 says, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. Don’t turn to food, turn to Jesus. Trust me, He will deliver you from emotional eating.
Have a blessed day!
~Signed: Former Emotional Eater, Delivered from the Oppression of Emotional Eating
Mrs. Nicole “Sunshine” Ellis, MBA
Can’t breathe: Try Spiritual CPR: Consistent in praying, Persistent in pursuing the knowledge of God, and Resistant to temptation.
© Nicole Ellis and Sunshine’s Reflections Blog, 2009 to 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blogs author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Nicole L. Ellis and Sunshine’s Reflections Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.